2006-10-26 / Opinion

1996: Few candidates file for charter commission

Out Of The Past: Compiled by Teri Webber

10 YEARS AGO
OCTOBER 23, 1996

The "good news" is that the Flint Mass Transportation Authority (MTA) is moving forward on plans to expand "Your Ride" curb-to-curb service throughout the county. The "bad news’ is that Davison area residents who have enjoyed on-demand "Dial-A-Ride" since 1976 may have to adapt to some service changes.

If city voters on Nov. 5 approve an attempt to revise the city charter, they will likely entrust the responsibility to a group of predominantly nameless faces. That is the reality, since only two names appear on the ballot for the nine-member commission. City residents Tony Strange and Michael Ewing were the only candidates to file nominating petitions with a sufficient number of signatures. Janice Lebert, who failed to gain sufficient legal signatures on her nominating petition, announced plans to stage a write-in campaign, but no other public announcements have been made from other candidates.

Officer Barry Burghdorf of the Davison Police Department will be honored as Police Officer of the Year by LaSociete des 40 homes et8Chevaux, Voiture 1116 in Mt. Morris. Nominated by Davison Police Chief Bill Brandon, Burghdorf was selected for his number of year in law enforcement, community involvement, and departmental awards and citations.

25 YEARS AGO
OCTOBER 21, 1981

Red Cross volunteers Mrs. Mildred Couture and Mrs. Meryle Falconi, both of Davison, were honored at a dinner in which they received awards for their volunteer service at Flint Osteopathic Hospital. Mrs. Falconi has devoted 15 years in her volunteer work at the hospital, and Mrs. Couture five years. Hospital President W. Dale Ferguson presented Mrs. Falconi a desk pen set and awarded Mrs. Couture a brooch.

La Victoire Insurance Agency marks its 20th year in business in Davison this year. Mr. and Mrs. James LaVictoire opened this agency in 1961, located on Main Street where the Senior Citizen Activities Center now stands. They moved to Fulcher Professional Building at North State Road five years ago.

Davison Fire Chief Ed Groner looks at a recently installed wood burning stove in the home of John Cross of Henderson Road. It’s an energy saver — seven to nine cords of wood will heat a 2,500-square-foot house for the winter and safe.

50 YEARS AGO
OCTOBER 25, 1956

The big Cartwright Roofing Company warehouse is located directly across from the office at Dayton Street. Proprietor Gordon L. Cartwright; installer William Drake; Clifford Cartwright; supervisor installer Glen Langley, and George Gutteridge, job foreman.

DHS Band Director Ernest Smith and members of the DHS Senior Band had a final practice session before participating in the 8th annual University of Michigan Band Day at Ann Arbor on Saturday. The nearly 11,000 musicians in the 171 massed bands performing Saturday played five of the seven numbers which had been rehearsed by the individual units.

Twenty-four members of Clark Durocher Post, American Legion, are to pour footings for the Clark Durocher Memorial Center now under construction on a 10-acre site located on South Belsay Road between Atherton and Lippincott. Tom Minto was in charge of the operation as ground was broken for the project on the previous day.

100 YEARS AGO
NOVEMBER 2, 1906

Mr. and Mrs. Fromwiller will reside on the old Buck place east of town, recently purchased by him, and have the best wishes of their friends here for a long and happy married life.

W.W. Withey will move his jewelry store into the south half of the new Williams block within the next few days.

Everybody drawing sugar beets now.

Rev. Richard Cottrell, of New Haven, was in town the fore part of this week making some repairs on the Root estate house on Second Street.

Return to top

Copyright © 2009-2017 The Davison Index, All Rights Reserved