2018-01-11 / News

Out of the past

10 YEARS AGO

Jan. 9, 2008

City council delays picking a new city manager after meeting with five candidates citing they were disappointed in the candidates they interviewed.

Ten students were recognized by the Davison Kiwanis Club as A+B=C award winners. They were Lindsay Crawford, Riley McLaren, Kaylee Torok, Jarrad Hadley, Zachary May, Hannah Warner, Nicole Bednard, Walter Czarnik, Roxanne Harris and Amanda Hartman.

Gary Ray Drive was names after Gary Ray Hale, a retired school teacher and city councilman, and son of Bill Hale, the developer of the subdivision. Del Zingro Drive was named after Dr. Nicklas Del Zingro, a medical doctor, former mayor of the city of Davison, and a friend of Robert Collins, developer of the subdivision. And Rosemore Park was named after the horse racing track on that site, and the track was named after Arthur J Baxter’s prize horse, Rosemore.

25 YEARS AGO

Jan. 13, 1993

New 67th District Judge John L Conover takes the oath of office from US District Judge Paul Gadola during an investiture ceremony at the Davison Knights of Columbus.

William “Skip” Davis has been with the Davison-Richfield Fire Department for 10 years and was promoted to Captain three years ago. In addition to his supervisory position in labor relations at Delco Electronics, Davis is taking classes with the Genesee County Fire Chiefs and Firefighters Association. Added to his 240 hours of basic training are 48 hours of Hazardous Material Handling and numerous hours of Medical First Responder training.

50 YEARS AGO

Jan. 10, 1968

Lyle and Irene Passmore have sold Passmore Market to Howard and Joyce Jones of Lapeer. Passmore bought the business in 1948 from Sam Buck. It was located on State Rd just south of M-21. The present building was built in 1952.

The Davison School Board voted to purchase 48 acres of land from S. J. Farah for $65,000.

Our Men In Service: Army Pvt. George Butler, Army Pvt. Clarence Roberts, Army Pvt. Ralph Smith, Army Pvt. Ronald Preiur and Army Pvt. Dale Leach.

100 YEARS AGO

Jan. 11, 1918

County School Commissioner John Riegle presented the district with a standard school plate. That makes Cartwright School the first standard school in Davison Township and the ninth in Genesee County.

R J Groves and Sons have added a splendid new piece to their undertaking equipment in the way of a beautiful funeral car. The motor is of the Willys-Knight type and the run was made from Owosso without a hitch. The outside is a fine two-tone gray, and the interior is mahogany. The car weighs over 4000 pounds.

A gang of Michigan State Telephone Company linemen are putting in new poles between Flint and Lapeer. – Compiled by John W. Brooks

Return to top

Copyright © 2009-2018 The Davison Index, All Rights Reserved

Click here for digital edition
2018-01-11 digital edition